“We want not only to portion out the blame but to know what to do…”
- Benjamin M. Friedman, Economist Harvard
We gave these men and women the task of protecting our country and serving its people. This is their record.
Minister of Public Safety
HIS JOB: Responsible for the safety of Canadians.
HIS RECORD: First off, he lied – repeatedly and intentionally – about our prison system: “The government”, he said, “has no intention of building new prisons”.
THE FACTS: 34 units are being built at existing federal penitentiaries at a cost of $601 million in order to prepare for the influx of new prisoners resulting from Harper’s new legislation. And since 2007, the provinces and territories have built, or are now building, 22 new prisons and 17 additions at a cost of $3.4 billion. These costs do not include operation, staffing, or maintenance.
|But fiddling with the facts is not his worse crime. Far more grievous is his consistent support of a system of punishment for prisoners rather than one of rehabilitation. He would rather see inmates dehumanized and shamed than give them the medical and psychological support that would actually help and reform them—all in the name of the Conservative prison agenda.|
Minister of Immigration
HIS RECORD: Yet another disgraceful entry on Harper’s laundry list of corrupt cabinet ministers: rather than do his job, our Minister of Immigration has repeatedly threatened and intimidated Canadian and foreign workers, warning that anyone who refuses to take low-wage positions will have their employment insurance cut off. That means that even skilled workers like nurses and teachers must take jobs that are not only outside their fields, but could hurt their prospects of getting skilled jobs in the future.
And that’s just Mr. Kenney’s most recent platform. His previous policies were equally shameful:
- 2009: Referred to Iraq War resisters seeking asylum in Canada as “bogus refugee claimants”.
- 2009: Barred British MP George Galloway from giving entry into Canada for being a “terrorist supporter”. Galloway had donated ambulances, medicine, and toys to the people of Gaza during their bombardment by Israel.
- 2010: Removed information about same-sex marriage legalization and the decriminalization of homosexuality in the new Citizenship and Immigration study guide for immigrants applying for Canadian citizenship.
- 2011: Denied Canadian visas to Afghan interpreters who served alongside Canadian troops in southern Afghanistan and who applied for them on the basis of facing threats from insurgents.
|instead of protecting the integrity of our immigration system, Jason Kenney is systematically doing harm to immigrants and Canadians alike.|